Any type of pain associated with the teeth is a sign of a serious issue. It is a known fact that nothing functions better than a natural tooth. So, it is recommended that if a patient suffers from any pain, a visit to the dentist is a must in order to identify the problem and treat it early. The endodontist in India will give the exact diagnosis after evaluating the oral cavity.
Indications of Root Canal Treatment
Some signs may indicate that the tooth is severely infected and needs a root canal. But, the dentist is the best person to give the final decision regarding the treatment plan after seeing the x-ray and the extent of the infection. The common signs are:
- Severe pain in chewing, biting, or pressure application.
- Sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures.
- Discoloration of the tooth.
- In some cases, there may be swelling and infection.
- Recurring abscess formation on the gums.
Advantages of Root Canal Treatment
- The main advantage of the treatment is that it preserves the natural tooth.
- After the completion of the treatment, the patient will no longer feel any pain as the infected pulp tissue is removed completely.
- Root canal therapy prevents the spread of any inner infection.
- There is no further abscess formation around the infected tooth.
- It needs only a few days to recover and the normal biting will have no impact due to the treatment.
- There is no need to spend a lot of money in order to replace a missing tooth if the tooth is extracted.
How Root Canal Treatment can Save the Decayed Tooth?
When the patient undergoes root canal treatment, the inflamed and infected pulp is removed completely preventing further spread of infection. The canal is thoroughly disinfected and filled with a plastic-like material called guttapercha. After the completion of the treatment, the tooth is covered with the crown to provide extra strength to the tooth structure.
The patient may feel a little discomfort after the completion of the treatment but it goes away pretty soon. If required, the patient may take a painkiller. The treatment helps in maintaining the natural smile and a person can continue with daily eating habits without any disruption and restriction. If proper oral hygiene is maintained, the root canal-treated tooth may last for a lifetime and can help in avoiding losing the tooth.
The root canal cost is not very high and spending some money to save the natural tooth is worth the investment. There is no best replacement for a natural tooth and one should always try to conserve it.