Dental Implants Vs Fixed Bridges
Losing teeth can cause various functional issues and can put a serious dent in self-confidence. Most dentists prefer dental implants and dental bridges as the most common solution for replacing a missing natural tooth. Many patients are in dilemma about which option suits them better. Hence, it is crucial to understand implants and bridges to make a better decision. The dentist can give proper guidance after evaluating the oral condition and suggest the best treatment plan.
A dental implant is a titanium post that is inserted in the jawbone and fuses with the bone in 3-6 months. Once the fusion is completed, an abutment is attached to the post on which the dental crown is cemented. It is the treatment of choice when the tooth is lost due to injury, periodontal disease, or any other reason.
- If maintained properly, they can last for a lifetime and requires very little maintenance.
- They almost resemble a natural tooth and are strong and stable. They function like a natural tooth.
- It stimulates the natural bone growth and hence, protects the jawbone from future risks.
- As the implant is placed in the jawbone, it requires surgery.
- The fusion of the implant with the bone requires time and hence, implant placement is a lengthy procedure.
- Dental Implant cost varies with the tooth condition and is usually a bit high.
When there are one or more missing teeth, a dental bridge is the treatment of choice by many. The bridge requires the support of natural teeth that are adjacent to the missing space on either side. The teeth from which support is taken are called abutment teeth whereas the artificial teeth are called pontics.
- It is a relatively simple procedure that does not require any surgical procedure.
- It is quicker and hence, requires less only a few weeks for the final treatment.
- Fixed bridges are quite affordable.
- Bridges are not as natural-looking and hence, are aesthetically less pleasant.
- The life of bridges is short and they may need replacement in 7-10 years.
- In order to make a bridge, the adjacent healthy teeth have to be prepared and a considerable amount of tooth structure has to be removed.
What to Better?
It is very important to find the right treatment plan. The dentist in India is the right person to decide the best possible treatment plan after evaluating the space of the missing tooth and the underlying bone condition. But, the pros of dental implants in India overpower the pros of dental bridges. Hence, it is very important for the patient to consider the options carefully and make a wise call with the help of the dentist.