Gum disease or periodontal disease is the infection of the gums surrounding the teeth. It is amongst the main causes of tooth loss and is a very common dental problem. Most of the adults suffer from gum depigmentation in India. There are mainly two stages of gum disease- gingivitis and periodontitis. Gum diseases can be easily prevented by following proper oral hygiene and regular visit to the dentist.
Our mouth is full of bacteria that combine with mucus to form a sticky and colorless substance on the teeth. This is known as plaque. Proper brushing and flossing can help in removing plaque. But, if proper oral hygiene is not maintained, then it hardens and forms tartar that cannot be removed by brushing. The person needs to visit the dentist for tartar removal. And if not removed, then it leads to gum disease.
There are many risk factors that cause gum disease and smoking is one of the most significant factors that lead to gum disease. It also hampers the line of treatment for gum disease. Other factors like diabetes, hormonal changes in females, some medications, illnesses like AIDS, genetic susceptibility, etc. also cause gum disease.
● Red, tender, or swollen gums.
● Bleeding gums while brushing.
● Loose teeth.
● Change in the bite.
● Pus discharge from the gums.
● Pain while chewing food.
● Sensitivity in teeth.
● Foul-smelling breath i.e. halitosis.
● The dentist thoroughly examines the gums and look for any signs of inflammations.
● A probe is used to check and measure the pockets around the teeth.
● Proper medical history of the patient is taken and risk factors are identified that may cause gum diseases.
● An X-ray can be taken to detect bone loss.
● The gum disease treatment starts with the control of the infection and depends upon the severity of the disease.
● Scaling and root planing is done to remove all the tartar present on the teeth.
● The patient is given instructions to maintain proper oral hygiene.
● The dentist may prescribe antibiotics and an antiseptic mouthwash to reduce the inflammation.
● In severe cases, surgical procedures like flap surgery or bone and tissue graftings are done.
● Proper maintenance of oral hygiene is very important that helps in preventing gum disease.
● Brushing teeth twice daily with fluoride toothpaste.
● Flossing of the teeth.
● A regular visit to the best dentist in India.
Prevention of gum disease is very easy and it helps in avoiding periodontal disease treatment. If detected at an early stage, it prevents further damage to the teeth and gums that may sometimes lead to serious conditions.