Fixed dentures or implant-supported fixed dentures are non-removable dentures. They consist of artificial teeth that are connected to a framework that is held securely by dental implants. The fixed dentures function almost like the natural teeth and the patient can eat, talk, and smile confidently without worrying about the slippage of the prosthesis. The fixed dentures are sure to give a natural-looking smile to an individual.
Advantages of Fixed Dentures
● The patient can eat and speak comfortably.
● There is no chance of slippage of the denture.
● The biting forces are equally distributed.
● They are robust and long-lasting.
● They can be easily cleaned with regular brushing.
● There is a minimal requirement for dental implants.
● They give patients a natural and youthful look by supporting their facial features.
How does it work?
The fixed dentures are attached with the help of dental implants. A minimum number of implants are used to support the maximum number of teeth. For fixed dentures, four implants are used to support the full arch. This means the dentist makes use of eight implants in both upper and lower jaws.
The implants are angled and distributed in such a way that it provides maximum stability and support to the artificial teeth. The tooth replacement prosthesis is attached to the implants with the help of screws that prevents slippage or shifting of the denture. These new replacement teeth are permanently fixed and gives a natural feel and function like the natural teeth.
● A 3-D x-ray is taken to identify the exact anatomic location of bone, sinuses, and nerves.
● This location helps in identifying the position of the implant placement.
● The implant placement is done under local anesthesia.
● A small channel or hole is made in the bone for placing the implants.
● After implant placement, a temporary set of teeth is attached in the mouth for about three months where the implants fuse with the bone.
● Once, osseointegration is completed, permanent teeth are fitted which gives a natural look.
● These teeth require daily brushing and flossing just like natural teeth.
The Parting Words
The fixed dentures are chosen over the conventional removable dentures. The implants give a strong and solid foundation to the denture. They give a natural-looking smile and improves the quality of life of the patient. The control and stability provided by implant-supported dentures are worth the money that is required for the treatment.